Commercial Aerospace Sector
Five key assets make Albuquerque a premier low-risk, low-cost, high-value location for any company with commercial aerospace interests.
AN UNEQUALED CONCENTRATION OF INTELLECTUAL CAPITAL AND A HIGHLY SKILLED WORKFORCE
Albuquerque’s population is saturated with engineering savvy due to the presence of the Air Force Research Laboratory New Mexico (Department of Defense); Los Alamos National Lab (Department of Energy); Sandia National Labs (Department of Energy); state R&D universities; a substantial private sector; and White Sands Missile Range and Spaceport America, both just a few hours’ drive south of the city.
A FRIENDLY BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT
New Mexico has the lowest property tax in the nation, no inventory tax, and offers industry-specific incentives for new jobs and investment. For companies operating in the aviation and aerospace industries, there are tax deductions on gross receipts for aircraft maintenance or remodeling, aircraft manufacturing, and directed energy systems/satellites.
A RELIABLE, BUILT-IN CUSTOMER BASE
Billions of dollars in federal funding flow into the state through the national labs annually. A sizeable portion is spent on R&D contracts and materials.
AN IDEAL CLIMATE & GEOGRAPHY FOR SPACE-RELATED TESTING & INNOVATION
- Abundant sun means minimal delays due to weather conditions
- High altitude and dry air lowers fuel costs and reduces conditions for corrosion
- Superior launch opportunities due to low air traffic and restricted airspace adjacent to White Sands Missile Range. (We have one of only 12 FAA- licensed commercial launch sites in the country just south of the city at Spaceport America.)
- Due to low air traffic, low population density, and restricted airspace
A ROBUST SPACE ECOSYSTEM
- More than 60 companies representing an array of space application areas have a presence in New Mexico, and the majority are in Albuquerque. They include satellite component design and manufacturing; space-launch; and data analytics and services.
- Global industry includes The Boeing Co., Virgin Galactic, and Fiore Industries Inc. Richard Branson has established headquarters for Virgin Galactic’s commercial space flight operations just south of Albuquerque at Spaceport America.
- Local startups include SolAero Technologies Corp., Descartes Labs, RS21, Robotic Skies, and 3D Glass Solutions.